Thursday

Eat it

My last blog was called "Salmon blog" and when I get around to it, I'm going to actually secure the domain "Salmonblog.com". Its currently up for grabs. Only problem is I don't know what to do with it once I get it, so I haven't done it yet. Anyways, this works for now.

I don't like cooked salmon though. Broiled or baked, or otherwise cooked, it makes me feel nauseous. I don't know why. I just have a really adverse reaction to it. Raw however, is delicious.

I love cooking, though. I was a vegetarian for many years, and now that I'm an Orthodox Christian, I spend a good chunk of my year as a vegan due to our various fasts and feasts. I make excellent tofu, amazing pasta sauces, spicy peanut soba noodles, soups and some amazing eggplant parmesean. I never was good at cooking meat, and I don't like most cooked fish, so it was easy to do.

But, and apologies in advance to Fromage, I've been eating red meat again. I have been really enjoying and savoring steak though. But given that I haven't eaten it for years, the process of cooking said steak has been a maddening and sometimes rewarding trial and error experience. Sometimes it comes out great, and other times I'm left with something I could use to resole my shoes or fix a loose tile on the roof. Not even the dog will eat it, and she licks her own butt.

Last night however, I can honestly say I knocked this one out of the ballpark. New York strip steaks, wrapped in butcher-cut bacon (not that packaged Oscar Meyer stuff, no sir), seared and then broiled to perfection. A Marchand du Vin reduction sauce with shallots and thyme. Garlic rosemary baby red potatoes and blanched fresh green beans on the side. Warm rolls with an entire bulb of roasted garlic and butter. Sauteed mushrooms and shallots.

And copious amounts of red wine. Cop-i-ous.

I can honestly say this is one of the best meals I've prepared in my life. I felt ten feet tall when it was all plated. The aromas, the textures, the pairing of wine and food, was just perfect. Sometimes when you're good, you're good.

Its also nice to take a break from the regular weekday dinners. For me, its usually a toss-up between a salad, a sandwich, a hastily made pasta dish, or as of late, ramen with roasted chicken tossed in and mixed with Sriracha. Mmmmm.

Now, I am hungry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan McMillan said...

So glad you're back to blogspot Suzanne! I've missed you! (never could find you on myspace for some reason...)

12:51 PM  
Blogger richgoldstein13 said...

Doesn't your domestic vary the menu from time to time? You need to employ some harsh discipline.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home