Monday

Baby, its hot outside

There are only three certainties in life: death, taxes, and California summers start early, start hot, and stay that way until well into October.

Its May 7, and for the past few days, summer has announced its arrival. Its 97 degrees outside right now. 97, for heaven's sakes. I went walking outside since I'm trying to get in shape for summer (ha) and I realized, doggone it, I'm too late. It IS summer.

I never wear shorts. Back in the day when I was in a lot better shape, I still didn't wear shorts. I have an interesting build that results in shorts cutting me off in a bad place on my leg, no matter how long they are. They ride up and look generally unflattering on me. Instead, I wear jeans, other pants, or more likely, dresses/skirts. Skirts are the best. Its like built-in classy air conditioning for your lower extremities.

Summer nights are the best, though. Lounging in bed with the windows open and the fan on, the air on your skin and a smile on your face. I like going for walks, runs, or really just hanging around outside on summer nights. I firmly believe that the world would be better and happier if we adopted a nocturnal summertime schedule. Everyone just sleeps during the day, wakes up around 7 pm to watch the sunset, and then goes out about their business. Cool, collected, rested, and refreshed. And, no more sunburns - skin cancer incidents drop!

Some things about summer heat are great. The freezing cold Pacific ocean actually feels good, for one, instead of like taking a bath in a meat locker. The days are longer, and the sunsets are later so I get to enjoy more of them. I love cold, ice-cube filled iced sun tea, I love cold crisp summer fruits and veggies, and I really just like wearing as little as possible around the house in an effort to cool off. Snowy sheds her fur; I shed my sleeves and socks.

Well, its definitely summertime then. Here's to the next 7 months or so of heat and sunshine. Baby, its hot outside.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

47 degrees here at night.

97 is a temperature we might reach once this summer in Wisconsin.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home